Saturday, February 2, 2008

voice thread trial

Everyone is asleep, so I had to do the recording very quietly. Probably I will have to rerecord tomorrow, not to mention taking out all the "ums", etc. But, let's see if it works! (2/6 update, I did have to rerecord it for more volume. Got rid of some of the ums, too.)

My first voice thread is incorporating a "Book Report In A Box" with 2.0 tools.


Crossing my fingers that it works......

Hey, it did! That is the small version. Let's see what the large version looks like:

Whoa nelly, it totally obliterates everything in its path! Like, it overlapped out past the margins, so nothing on the right side could be seen. I took it out. I'm sticking to the small version.

An even smaller version would be to just embed a link, like this:
http://voicethread.com/share/52402/
or to embed it with the title and link like this: Hats for the Jizos - a voicethread

I think this will be a gift to giving voice (pun intended) to students who might not otherwise get their book reviews published, because they could record a one minute booktalk. Any longer, and it gets a bit boring. Establishing some guidelines like 1 or 2 minutes, and the need to have a couple of objects that represent the book works on higher levels of thinking in terms of interpreting a story and transforming key elements into symbolic representations of that story. Hmmm, I didn't time mine, I'd better go back and do that. Also, an external microphone would work better--I just talked at my macbook, hoping that the built in mic would work, and it did, lucky me.

1 comment:

CAS said...

Oh my gosh, Becca - this is great! Suzanne was asking about how to put a video of an experiment on there and I told her that was do-able, but this may be even better with the tools that they have already. They could take pictures with the document camera of the experiment's steps, and then put them together in a slideshow with an attached voiceover... and then use that in addition to the written prompt on the blog, which will make it more accessible for kids whose reading and writing skills get in the way of the reflection.

This is really terrific. I'm going to explore it a little bit this morning in between classes. Then I'd really like to put it on the Test Blog in some version. Neat! I'm already thinking about having the kids do booktalks. OOOH.